Continuing our quest for ever more delicious vegan ice cream flavours… when I saw strawberry cheesecake icecream, I knew I had to veganise it. With tofu. Coconut milk. Plain chocolate digestive biscuits. Fresh
strawberries blackcurrants from the garden. Oh yeah.
The result was delicious, if a little tart in the curranty bits (maybe some more agave needed next time?) I only wish we had made more. If you don’t want the wheat and sugar in the biscuits, then make a small amount of your favourite cheesecake base (raw or cooked- here’s a suggestion) and add that instead. Despite copious whisking with a hand blender, this icecream did set really quite hard overnight, so perhaps if you haven’t got an icecream maker it would be best to devour it straight away. Here’s the recipe:
1 can coconut milk
2 tabs agave
110g tofu, mashed and mixed with 1 tab agave and a1 1/2 tabs lemon juice
2 cups blackcurrants, coarsely mashed (you could mix in some agave too if you think they need it)
2 vegan digestive (graham) biscuits, crumbled into small pieces; but not crumbed.
- Blend the tofu mixture thoroughly- I used a hand blender.
- Add to the coconut milk and agave.
- Whisk the mixture as much as possible, to get plenty of air in.
- Freeze in the bowl you whisked it in, removing and whisking again from time to time.
- Lastly, stir in the blackcurrants and biscuit pieces, swirling them through so that some white coloured icecream is left (see pictures).
- Freeze until frozen through but still quite soft.