The first truly Autumnal weather hit us this weekend, with bright but cool days and chilly nights. Time for something hot, creamy and comforting!
And that’s where this soup comes in. Simple to make, and featuring a seasonal vegetable- celeriac– it ticks all the comfort boxes without being stodgy. The simple seasoning helps bring out the delicate flavour of the celeriac.This recipe makes 6-8 servings; you will want seconds!
500g celeriac, diced
230g potato, diced
1/4 cup finely ground almonds (1 cup=250ml)
1/4 cup finely ground sunflower seeds
2 tsps seasalt
1/3-1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp compound hing
1 tab olive or organic sunflower oil
1/2-1 tab lemon juice (optional)
- Gently saute the potato in the oil for a couple of minutes, then add the celeriac and stir well, cooking for a couple of minutes more.
- Throw in the seasonings, add 1 litre of water and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the ground almonds and sunflower seeds with a litre of water. It should resemble single/ pouring cream in consistency.
- When the celeriac and potato are soft, add the “cream” and blend thoroughly. The more you blend it, the creamier it will be.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve with warm chunks of your favourite bread and watch the Autumn leaves fall…