|Perfect gluten free crunchy cereal, to enjoy with your favourite plant milk!|
A very belated happy 2016 to all our readers!
Are you making changes on your daily diet for the new year? Do you want to cut down on wheat? If so, this is a yummy change from wheat and oat based cereals, and you can even have it on Ekadasi as buckwheat does not count as a grain. We recently discovered buckwheat flakes in the Suma catalogue, and we love their versatility! (My husband is currently perfecting a vegiburger based on them.)
As you can see, the muesli is made from buckwheat flakes, sultanas, cashews and pumpkin seeds. We gently toasted the flakes, nuts and seeds in a little coconut oil before adding the dried fruit to make a granola-style crunch; delicious with some home made almond milk!
We are planning to return to posting here more regularly from now on; we missed you all! It’s good to be back 😊
This recipe makes 3 or 4 helpings:
2cups buckwheat flakes
1/2 cup chopped almonds or cashews
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
11/2 tabs coconut oil
2 tabs coconut sugar
4 small fresh dates, stoned and chopped
1 tab raisins
1 tab sultanas
- Mix the buckwheat flakes, nuts and seeds together.
- Cook them gently in a shallow pan in the coconut oil, until the nuts begin to toast. Be careful not to overlook the mixture.
- With the mixture still in the pan, stir in the coconut sugar and turn off the heat..
- Pour into a bowl and stir in the dried fruit once it has cooled down.
- Serve with plant milk. We think hemp milk is especially good with this cereal.