400g self raising flour
4 tsps baking powder
200g light brown unrefined sugar
400ml soya (or other plant) milk
150ml melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
Filling and frosting:
a few handfuls of summer berries- we used cherries and blackberries, but currants, blueberries, strawberries or raspberries would also be delicious
vegan margarine (we used Pure brand)
unrefined icing sugar (or grind your own)
a little jam (optional)
- To make the cake, mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another and then beat the wet into the dry.
- Turn into prepared cake moulds and bake in an oven preheated to 180C for 25-30 mins, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, either make coconut whipped cream or use the vegan margarine and unrefined icing sugar to make buttercream.
- When the cake is completely cool, fill and top it with the buttercream and berries, adding some jam to the filling if you like.
- Now all you need are some candles and guests and the party is ready…