200g dried fruit- a mix of unsulphured apricots, pitted prunes and vine fruits
200ml orange juice
200ml hot water
400g plain wholemeal flour
6 tsps baking powder
200g roughly chopped walnut halves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground mixed spice
200g coconut sugar
150ml melted coconut oil
- Chop the apricots and prunes and soak with the vine fruits in the orange juice and water.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a tin/ silicone mould. I used a rectangular one which I filled to about 2″deep so it would cook through evenly.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and nuts.
- Drain the liquid from the dried fruits and add that to the coconut oil.
- Add this to the dry mixture with the fruit and beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the centre of the oven. Don’t turn it out if the tin until it has cooled or it may crumble.
How far do you adapt a recipe before you feel you can call it your own? What do you think about stating your source of inspiration? Do you always do it?